The Urbandale Police Department offers applicants an opportunity for a rewarding career in either the Patrol Division, Investigation Division or Support Services Division. New officers will find competitive wages and benefits, along with up-to-date equipment. Once hired, the new officer will obtain certification at the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy, and complete additional training with UPD Field Training officers.
Officers will have the opportunity to work one of two patrol shifts, as well as additional collateral duty assignments:
- Bike Patrol Officer
- Instructor positions
- K-9 Officer
- SERT Team (SWAT) Operator and Sniper
All are opportunities for officers to gain additional experience and expertise.
Support Services Division
We have a variety of assignments in the Support Services Division:
- Community Relations Officer
- School Resource Officer
These positions offer exposure to many different areas of law enforcement and community outreach opportunities.
There are several opportunities in the Investigation Division:
- Fraud and Financial crimes
- General Detective
- Identification Technician
- MINE (Mid-Iowa Narcotics Enforcement)
- Persons crimes
- Property crimes
Job Interest Card
To complete a Job Interest Card in order to be contacted when applications are being taken for Police Department jobs, and to check availability of jobs within the department, please visit our online portal.
Application Process (subject to change)
Applicants must meet the minimum qualifications to begin the following steps:
- Pass the physical agility test developed by the Iowa Law Enforcement Academy
- Pass the written POST test
- Pass a background check
- Pass an oral interview and qualify in the top 20 applicants with police staff
- Be selected and given a conditional offer of employment by the Chief of Police
- Successfully pass a Polygraph Examination
- Successfully pass a Physical Examination (including Drug Screening)
- Successfully pass a Psychological Examination (MMPI) prior to appointment